Wednesday 12 April 2017

Palimpsest Pippin And The Spooky Brides Of St Ives, Cornwall


Imagine my complete delight when I found a supernatural fiction book which was set in St Ives, Cornwall. it was like having apple pie and custard all at once. I have read all the supernatural 'Haunted St Ives' and 'Haunted Cornwall' books. But to be honest, they are a bit dry and lacking any real entertainment.

The horse that waits on the beach for his master to come back out of the sea is probably the best of the worst of the well known guide book pieces (his hoof beats can be heard too, apparently) and the Jamaica Inn stories are interesting but constantly mentioned, so there is no real new stuff.

So when I found this quirky work of fiction (as shown in the picture, with Pippin, above), I was interested to give it a try. It has a really good map of St Ives in the front, even for the armchair traveller who uses astral, rather than satellite, navigation!

It was funny too and as I said, quirky to begin with because it was better than a guide book, but some way in to the story it actually became very interesting and cleverly done too - the story actually became quite a gripping supernatural thriller in its own right.

I really think that Pippin likes this book a lot too. I got the impression he was trying to get near to it and may even have been trying to take a sneaky peak inside!

See also:
Mona Steorra